Monday, April 26, 2004

2004-04-26

It's can't be boring if the spaghetti's blue

This weekend was relatively light. At least compared to the last two weeks. The only speaking-type appointment I had was running an English Bible Study that we've started up on Saturday afternoons. It's kinda not so good because the weather is turning really nice now, and I'd like to be outside taking walks and macking on women and such. But then again, it IS a time that the students don't have anything else going on, and there are lots of non-Christian students here, AND we've been advertising this as a chance to practice English. So it's a good thing.

Satsuki, one of my English students, showed up this week. Her grandparents are apparently SDAs, which is how she got introduced to this school. She's one of the girls who's kinda fond of me and in spite of that, I gotta admit I'm a bit protective of her because one, she's from Okinawa and we gotta stick together and two, she's not hugely fat but she's not skinny either. Don't get me wrong, I think she's the cutest thing ever, but I've heard bad stories about how kids here can be unbelievably mean to other kids who are different and being overweight is one major Difference. The good thing is that she's super-nice to everyone so all the students love her. At least, nobody's talked bad about her yet so that's good, 'cause then I'd have to go all gonzo medieval on someone's behind. Anyway, she showed up to the Bible study and stayed on the English side. I tried to gear the study towards her, keeping in mind that she didn't know anything about "The Bible" or "Christianity". I hope I didn't put her in the spotlight too much and make her uncomfortable, but it seemed at the end like she was planning on coming back so that's good.

John has two friends visiting from the States so we took them into Mobara to do some shopping on Saturday night. We hung out at a used electronics store and then went to eat at the only cheap restaurant I've ever seen in Japan. One of the guys ordered some god-awful spaghetti concoction that was BLUE. I guess it was some kind of squid or shrimp or some freaky thing kinda sauce but it looked horrible. He didn't seem too displeased so hey, whatever floats yer boat, but that was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

THEN yesterday I did some laundry and went down to the office to get caught up on the news since I am dead to the world from Friday afternoon until Sunday. I also burned a CD of songs that Amanda wanted and took them over to her office. And we ended up talking and sorta losing track of the time. We started talking around probably 2:30 and I didn't leave the office until after 7. Good heavens. There was never any period of awkward silence or dead air or anything. I tells ya, that is one incredible woman. Now the trick is convincing her of that. I've got a little less than four months to do it.

No comments: