Saturday, September 11, 2004

2004-09-11

WEIRD SABBATH SCHOOL DISCUSSION I HAD TODAY: Our English Sabbath School class often wanders from the recommended lesson. Today was no exception. The lesson was about "unity and diversity in the church", but we got off talking about transcendental meditation, demon possession, and McDonald's. Actually, the McDonald's thing WAS from the lesson, because the writer said that no matter where you go in the world, McDonald's is always the same. NOT TRUE. Here in Japan, the fried chicken sandwich is noticeably different from the one in the States, they have teriyaki and wasabi sauce in several burgers, and the drink sizes are quite a bit smaller. Helpful hint: Do NOT get your info on McDonald's from the Sabbath School lesson. Silly SDAs talking about things they don't know about. The best part about this lesson, though, was at the very end, when I told the class about the rumours going around in the States that Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson, etc. went to SDA academies.

WEIRD THING I ATE AT POTLUCK TODAY: Flowers. Someone brought some kind of edible yellow flower petals. At first I avoided them because I didn't want to look like a moron and eat a garnish, but one of the guys sitting next to me went back and got a huge ol' plateful of the stuff. I thought that was so weird I had to try it, so I went and grabbed a bunch. Actually very good. I'd take them over the nasty iceburg lettuce that passes for nutrition in the States.

No comments: