Wednesday, June 29, 2005

2005-06-29

worst NBA draft related quote EVER

So today was the NBA draft over in the New World. I even managed to get Amanda (who's from Australia and thus has little interest in basketball and even less in the basketball draft process) mildly interested when I told her an Australian guy would most likely get taken first. I've always thought that the draft was like the most underrated Great TV time. It's sorta like a reality show except I never watch those so I can't REALLY say for sure. On the ESPN website there's a columnist who gives his 70 or so greatest draft moments. I've got just a few, but they're all awesome enough to have stuck with me all this time.

--wayyyyy back in 1989, we were watching the draft in California (this was back when everyone in my family still cheered for the Lakers) and L.A. took Vlade Divac with its first-round pick. Under "negatives", the broadcast had listed: "Doesn't speak English".

--Two draft picks in 1990--Felton Spencer and someone else--wore FISH TIES.

--Glenn Robinson is in his post-draft interview and is asked something like "How'd you get the nickname 'Big Dog', anyway?" His response? "I'll always be the Big Dog."

--What in the world was Jalen Rose thinking?

--Jumaine Jones gives up two years of college ball to enter the draft. He lasts all the way till the last pick of the first round while the cameras focus on him, all alone in the pre-draft room, after every pick that's not him. He's finally chosen and gives this sobbing, stream-of-consciousness post-draft interview which includes blubbering about some other guy who got drafted before him like they were long-lost brothers or something. It was really uncomfortable to watch.

Anyway, to this year's draft: I had no access to NBA TV here in Japan, so I know nothing about what went on. I am happy with the Kings' first-round pick, though. And here's the worst draft-related quote EVER mentioned in the title. Gerald Green, 6-7 swingman chosen by the Celtics in the first round, says of his new team:

"If I have to, I'll die for them. I'm going to leave my heart out on the court."

Celtics fans, or ardent NBA fans who remember about 10 years back, will recognize the brutal awfulness of that quote, although I'm sure Green didn't intend it that way. Kids these days!

No comments: