Monday, November 07, 2011

FIRST POST IN THREE YEARS HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME

So, as promised, the restart of this blog. We'll see how long this lasts, but I'm committed to posting regularly for at least a month.

The Sr. pastor at our church preached a sermon this past Sabbath in which he challenged everyone to get going with "spiritual exercise," and since I was voted in as an elder, I thought it would be good to heed that call. For the next month, I'm going to attempt to engage in a sort of spiritual renewal, although the way I envision this going is a little different than what I've usually heard described as "renewal."

The first step in this exercise/renewal effort concerns this blog. As anyone reading will surely notice, this is the first activity on this blog in more than three years. I stopped because I got disinterested in writing about myself, but as I've come to realize, it goes deeper than that. To put it simply, I don't like hearing myself talk (or reading what I write). I've never been much of a talker, much to Amanda's frustration, and a lot of that has to do with simply being uncomfortable getting my thoughts and opinions out into the universe. Some things occurred recently which made me think that it might be a good idea to change that, so I've decided to begin writing down my thoughts in order to share them. Take these words however you will--as a conversation, a devotional, heck, even as a bunch of delusional assertions by an empty, puffed-up blowhard. They are, however you decide to take them, my thoughts, and I'd invite anyone reading this to feel free to respond and dialogue. I will do my best to be as genuine and honest as possible, while not crossing the veil of "TMI" or "diabolically offensive."

The second step in this effort is centered around Bible study...conveniently, this is also the focus of my M.A. and likely the future focus of any Ph.D. studies I do. A couple of statements to begin: I believe that the Bible is, in fact, inspired ("God-breathed" in the Greek) divine revelation. It is the starting point of all my talk about God, and most of my talk about morality and destiny. I do not believe, however, that the Bible is exhaustive, comprehensive, or inerrant. There will almost certainly be times where I resist or outright disagree with stuff written in the Bible. I hope neither of the three or so people likely to read this blog are too shocked by this. Again, that focus on integrity and honesty, even when it comes to Holy Scripture.

Finally, what this blog will seek to record is the intersection between the first two points--how my thoughts/experiences intersect with the process of Bible study, and how each informs and influences the other. Why is this so important that I've decided to chronicle the process every day for at least a month? It has to do with what I see is the true purpose of Bible study and revelation. Lots of times, when people say "I'm going to engage in Bible study because I want revival in my life," it involves reading through passages of the Bible in order to find wisdom/happiness/transformation in the words. And while that's good, I have a feeling that it's somewhat inadequate. Maybe "inadequate" isn't the right word, but I think there's something more going on.

In the fourth Gospel (According to John), there's a theme that runs through the entirety of the gospel. As the Christian community faces a time of transition, when the first-generation apostles and witnesses to Jesus have all passed away, the community can be assured of one thing: that the words of Jesus as recorded in the Gospel are as powerful, authoritative, and true as his physical presence was. Believing in the words of Jesus creates a mystical connection just as real as if one were in his presence. "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you" (John 15:7). The purpose of Bible study isn't just to get wisdom or some warm fuzzy feeling. It's not even to get "closer to God," whatever that means. Studying the Bible is, in fact, a way in which the Word of God incarnate in Jesus is in a sense re-incarnated in the collection of believers known as the Church. "I have given them the glory that you gave me, I in them and you in me, so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." (17:22, 23)

I do not know how this happens, nor how it will play out in this specific experiment. Knowing me, it's going to be an imperfect, inelegant, static and white-noise-laden incarnation. If there are noteworthy epiphanies, they will probably come mixed in with despair, angst, and jaded, misanthropic irony. All our best attempts to reflect God are strange, broken, "as in a mirror, darkly." But through the processes of Bible study and actively reflecting on life and experience through this blog, I guess we'll see if there's anything to my belief.

No comments: