2004-05-10
What in the...?
Well, I feel kinda bad looking at this site and realizing I haven't updated anything in awhile. I'm settling into a routine here and so maybe things don't seem as new or exciting, so perhaps that can be my excuse. I was trying to think of something interesting to post, and MSN.com PROVIDED! Supposedly, this list was the product of some kind of survey by Maxim magazine. It's Maxim, so you aren't expecting Pulitzer-level journalism, but WOW. Here are the top ten in their "Hot 100", which are (I guess) the hundred most desirable women in America? The world? I don't know.
Maxim Magazine's "Hot 100" Top Ten (via MSN.com)
1. Jessica Simpson
2. Beyonce Knowles
3. Christina Aguilera
4. Anna Kournikova
5. Jennifer Lopez
6. Mischa Barton
7. Rebecca Romjin-Stamos
8. Paris Hilton
9. Jessica Alba
10. Halle Berry
Maybe I've been out of the country for far too long already, but this list HAS NO CREDIBILITY! I didn't even know who Mischa Barton was until I did a web search on her name--I guess she was the barfing dead girl from "The Sixth Sense" and is now starring in some teenybopper drama that's all edgy and stuff. Jessica Simpson is SO the Samantha Fox of this decade. People ten years from now will say "Hey, yeah I remember Jessica Simpson" and gasp in horror at the pictures the interWeb spits out. Seriously, folks. Try search for the Samantha Fox CD "I wanna have some fun" on Amazon.com and prepare to be amazed/amused by the cover photo. Oh, the 80's hairstyle pathos. Maybe I'm just being a cranky old man. I actually have nothing against any of these young ladies--it's just that this list is ridiculous because 1) every one of them needs a sammich and 2) the editors completely whiffed on the dreadful misspelling of "Lauren Graham" as "Jessica Simpson" at #1.
I don't know why I went off on that tangent. I guess I'm just a little bit sensitive about society being stupid. Okay, on to other things...
They had an "International Worship Service" here this past Sabbath. The Korean missionary group was basically in charge. However, they did a really good job of making it "International" by emphasizing the three major language groups represented here--Japanese, Korean and English. At the beginning of the service they taught everyone how to say "Good morning, nice to meet you" in all three languages and had us git up and mingle. One silly thing that happened was during the English portion of the "get up and meet people". One of the Korean ministers was a guy I've met before but apparently he didn't recognize me on this morning, 'cause when I said "Hello, my name is K" he remarked "Your pronunciation is very good!" UNfortunately for him, the worship leader was standing RIGHT THERE and heard this exchange, and he promptly said "He is the English teacher" upon which the poor Korean minister got all embarrassed. I have learned that people here are fond of embarrassing other people, so when the mingling time was over the worship leader relayed this silly exchange to EVERYONE. Amanda and I made the mistake of sitting in the front row, because said worship leader picked on us and our lame attempts at singing/reading Japanese. See if WE sit in the front next time. Try to be good churchgoers and this is the thanks you get. Really, it was all in good fun, and it was neat to see the Koreans all decked out in their "Hom-bok" clothes or however you spell/say the traditional Korean outfit.
Called home for Mother's Day today (Monday for me, Sunday for them). Paid 3000 yen for an int'l phone card, which is good for something like 67 minutes. So yeah, it was expensive, but it WAS worth it. Nice to hear the folks' voices and to know that everything's okay back home.
I'm out. The cafeteria beckons.
Monday, May 10, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment